SLC warmly welcomes families and campers of all backgrounds. We’re dedicated to helping young people unplug, connect, and grow to develop values, confidence, and skills to last a lifetime. Located in the Hudson Valley, we’re fortunate to share this setting of incredible natural beauty, adding to SLC’s storied history as the nation’s longest-running Jewish sleepaway camp. Our caring and well-trained staff enhances each child’s sense of discovery, connection, and achievement, and helps teen campers evolve into leaders and role models for younger campers. We emphasize emotional well-being with the help of our dedicated Camper Care team. We care deeply about campers and teach campers to care about the world around them. We believe this is the key to a brighter future.
- Type: Overnight / Indoor & Outdoor
- Dates: Full Summer: Jun 27-Aug 18; Session One: Jun 27-Jul 28; Session Two: Jul 30-Aug 18; Mini-Camp: Jul 16-Jul 28; Get Your Feet Wet: Aug 21-Aug 25; Rookie Days: Jul 21, Aug 4
- Location: Cold Spring, NY
- Contact info: Sheryl Kirschenbaum at email@example.com /845-265-3616
- Grades: Kindergarten, Elementary, Junior High, High School
- Financial aid:Surprise Lake Camp has a sliding fee scale based on family income / expenses and maintains a deep commitment to ensuring that camp is affordable to all families. We also participate in the One Happy Camper grant.
- Transportation: We offer bus transportation from New Jersey
- Lunch provided: Tuition includes all meals
- Activities offered: Archery, Arts & Crafts, Baking/Cooking, Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Boating, Camping Overnights, Ceramics, Climbing Tower, Dance, Farm, Fitness, Fishing, Gaga, Hiking, Hockey, Instructional Swim, Jewish Culture, Kayaking, Kickball, Music, Nature(Teva), Paddleboarding, Photography, Pickleball, Pottery, Ropes Course, Soccer, Softball, Special Events, Tennis, Theater, Windsurfing, Ziplining
- Safety Protocols: The health, safety, and emotional well-being of our campers are the top priority of every Surprise Lake Camp staff member. We hire our staff carefully and train them extensively so that each camper will get attentive, caring, skilled support all summer long.
SLC’s summer Camper Care Team includes a variety of mental health professionals. Personable and experienced, these specialists help watch for and address any potential issues, from homesickness to social dynamics. Campers know them as friendly listeners who can help them think through challenges, while counselors turn to them for advice on supporting their campers.
The SLC Health Center handles any physical issues and ailments. In addition to our staff of experienced Nurses (RNs and LPNs) available 24/7, our Nurse Practitioner has office hours three times each week. We have two Health Centers: a fully equipped facility on Mainside plus a satellite on Teenside. Whenever needed, we can take campers out of camp for x-rays, lab work, or other procedures.
Our nursing staff can meet the needs of campers requiring daily monitoring or medications. Your camper enrollment application will prompt you to complete medical forms for your child and indicate how to arrange for your child’s medical needs to be handled at camp.
SLC food is delicious, healthy, and kid-friendly, with lots of choices. During breakfast, there is a breakfast bar with fresh fruit, an assortment of yogurts, and other healthy options. At every lunch and dinner, we have salad bars full of fresh vegetables. Vegetarian options are always available. Themed dinners and barbeques add even more variety. For picky eaters, we have pasta and other simple choices available at most meals, in addition to fresh fruit available throughout the day. Our Kosher kitchen can accommodate most allergies and many special diets with advance notice. We are a nut-aware facility. No peanut products are served in the dining halls.